Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tennis

I have been playing tennis for the majority of my life. I was actually born 10 days early because my mom decided to play tennis when she was 9 months pregnant with me and fell and broke her water. In middle school I decided that I wanted to try out for my high school tennis team so I practiced a lot with my dad. I was devastated when I didn't make the tennis team at the beginning of the summer. But it is not like me to just give up on something. So I practiced and I practiced and I made the team at retryouts in the fall! I was ecstatic.

We had 10 girls on the Freshmen tennis team and I ended up being in the top half of the ladder most of the year. I played some singles and some doubles. My very first tournament I played doubles with Liz and we got first place! I was so happy. Tennis taught me to never give up. Never give up on a dream, a goal, a tournament, a match or even a point. I am grateful for the discipline that tennis has taught me.

I played on my high school tennis team for 3 years and then I played on the Lehigh club tennis team for 4 years (though my senior year I didn't play much because I had mono.) It was really fun playing on the club team because it was competitive tennis and we played against harvard, rutgers, princeton syracuse and other schools, but it was still pretty chill. I got the chance to play on the US open tennis courts which was awesome! I love tennis and still try to play when I can. My dad has a group of guys that all play on Sunday mornings so whenever they have an odd number of people I usually play with them. But it's very different playing with 7 - 50 year old men.

My favorite tennis players are Andy Roddick, Venus, Serena, Maria Sharapova and Rafael Nadal. I met Andy Roddick and have an autographed picture of him! And I met Nadal at the US open and got his autograph!
"Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome." ~ Arthur Ashe 

"Love is nothing in tennis, but in life it is everything." 

"Life is like a game of tennis; the player who serves well seldom loses."

No comments:

Post a Comment