Monday, November 7, 2011

Extracurriculars

When you're in high school you do them to get into college. However when I was in college I loved every activity I did. I just kept finding and applying for new clubs but I never wanted to quit the old ones so I ended up doing A LOT of activities.

I was an orientation leader.
My Orientation Leader was okay but I couldn't meet at the evolution time; so I got a new group and my OL was Josh who was awesome. I loved him and wanted to be like him so I applied to be an OL. I was ecstatic when I was selected. Being an orientation leader is a lot more than just getting a group of freshmen. We had 6 training sessions in the spring. then we come back 10 days before everyone else in the fall and have 4 days where we train from 8 am to 10 pm. then someone usually has an OL social gathering at night, then we wake up and do the same thing again. We get split up into these "families" each fun by an orientation coordinator. You are supposed to stay with this same group all through orientation. Its really fun and you all usually become really close and good friends. Many people do orientation because of the training aspect, I on the other hand just loved being able to lead and acclimate the freshmen to Lehigh. I love Lehigh so so much and was delighted to have the opportunity to share my zeal for Lehigh with new students. I'm still friends with a couple of my old freshmen :) Then I had the chance to plan and run transfer orientation in the winter, which was really fun! It was cool to think that by my senior year, every single student at Lehigh was either in my class or had an OL who I knew. So 2 degrees of separation between anyone on campus!

I was a Class Officer & worked for the Alumni Association.
This was one of my favorites! I loved being a class officer and getting to represent Lehigh class of 2011. I also loved our class officer advisers and my fellow class officers :)

I was in Leadership Lehigh.
Leaderhigh as we sometimes called it, is a 4 year leadership program through which I organized a healthy heart awareness week and made a documentary on youth violence.

I worked for the Women's Center.
 I enjoyed working in this inclusive environment with so many individuals who are driven to create change. One of my favorite things I did was the Vagina Monologues! The cast was made up of a fabulous group of ladies! And we raised $25,000!

I was on the Lehigh Club Tennis team.
I love tennis! See last blog post.

I was the AMWA president.
AMWA is an awesome club for women in the science field. It was usually a small group of amazing young ladies.

I was in APO.
Community service fraternity through which I did lots of volunteer work.

These are things I did for a semester:
I didn't do too much for ISA but once I helped emcee Diwali. I played Rugby for a semester. I worked in Linderman Library for a year. I was the VP of hall council in campus square. I worked at Fairmart library for a year. I worked at Taylor Gym for a semester. I babysat. I was on team '11 (like student council). I tutored through America Counts America Reads. I interned for One Student for a semester. And I joined a sorority - well for a little then realized that I really couldn't do it all.

I feel like all these activities at Lehigh changed me and helped me to grow as a person. It was one of the reasons why I was always so excited to get back to Lehigh after a long summer.
I think I made the most of my Lehigh Experience!
Bleeding Brown & White forever!   

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it." ~ Peter McWilliams

"When you do nothing, you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved, you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better."

"You must get involved to have an impact. No one is impressed with the won-lost record of the referee." ~ Napolean Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment