Sunday, January 8, 2012

bye bye service industry

So I worked at a restaurant for two months. I don't think I work there anymore but I could be wrong. What happened was I told them I was going on vacation a month before I left. I requested the time off online like you were supposed to. Then a couple of days before I hopped on the airplane my manager said that I could have the next week off but not the week I needed. I didn't feel like arguing so I said let me talk to my dad and get back to you. So that night I sent her an email and told her sorry my tickets to California are already booked and we cannot change them so I don't know what to do. She never responded so I was like hopefully that's okay. I get to California and I check hotschedules and I'm scheduled to work every single day. So I call in on monday and the manager who doesn't know anything answers so I explain it to him and tell him I will not be at work all week. He said ohh you need to tell the general manager that. And I was like okay will you take a message?

I wait and I wait and nobody calls me. And then I check my schedule again and it says "YOU ARE INACTIVE" in red letters. So I'm assuming that means I do not work there. And I do not care enough to call them and they don't care enough to call me. One of my friends went in and asked to sit in my section and was told "Sri quit. She doesn't work here anymore so you cannot sit in her section." Well that's news to me. Oh well. It was way too grueling and painful to work there. I cannot work with 20 year old girls. They are too catty and mean. In my new job I will be working with a lot older, more mature, nicer ladies most of which are moms. I have actually never been happier to be let go or fired or quit or whatever it is.

It was definitely a character building experience. And I learned a lot about hard work and what it's like to truly work for money. I will never ever everrrr tip a waiter or waitress less than 15% or 20% again! It's so much more work than you can ever imagine. I think it would be good for everyone to work in a restaurant when they are young... in less than a month you will get the picture. Anyway I am thankful that I do not have to work there anymore and happy to have a new job :)

The real judges of your character aren't your neighbors, your relatives, or even the people you play bridge with. The folks who really know you are waiters, waitresses, and clerks.


"Waitressing - by far the worst job ever created." Jennifer Esposito

No comments:

Post a Comment